Trusted Attorney Providing Knowledgeable And Dedicated Representation

Attorney Christopher T. Adams

Trusted Attorney Providing Knowledgeable And Dedicated Representation

When Parents Need To Relocate With Children

If you are now divorced and have custody of your child, moving may be complicated. You cannot simply move and take your child further from his or her other parent. Even if the move is a great leap for your career or brings you closer to family or a new relationship, it is the best interests of the child that are foremost in the law.

Understanding Your Rights

Most custody decrees give at least some visitation rights to a noncustodial parent. Courts now recognize that fathers are beneficial to and needed by their children. Both parents can benefit their children financially and emotionally. If your moving makes your ex’s visitation more difficult, you will need the permission of the court and may be required to take steps to reduce the inconvenience to your ex.

If you are a noncustodial parent and do not want your ex to move further away, you have the right to oppose the move. Again, you must show that it is not in the best interest of the child to move.

The noncustodial parent must be given notice of the intent to move. Even if he or she does not oppose it, in most cases you will need the original custody and visitation order to be modified.

Learn More About Our Lawyer And Our Services

Christopher T. Adams is dedicated to the best interest of children and his Georgia clients. Attorney Adams is proud to serve a community where he and seven generations of his family have lived.

For a free, 30-minute consultation with Attorney Adams, contact us online or call our Lawrenceville office at 800-582-0304.