Trusted Attorney Providing Knowledgeable And Dedicated Representation

Attorney Christopher T. Adams headshot

Trusted Attorney Providing Knowledgeable And Dedicated Representation

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Drunk Driving
  4.  » How to curb underage drinking in Georgia?

How to curb underage drinking in Georgia?

Though many strides have been made to stop the frequency of drunk driving in Georgia, it is still a program that occurs more frequently than desired. According the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), alcohol-induced impaired driving costs $37 billion each year. In 2012 alone, more than 10,000 people died in drunk driving accidents. This equates to a car accident every 51 minutes in the United States.

The NHTSA continually seeks ways to stem the tide of impaired driving. One main focus is creating strategies to prevent underage drinking. There are several issues addressed in the community based strategies.

One way is to reduce access to alcohol in communities. Another suggestion is to establish community norms that discourage underage drinking. Yet another strategy is to increase the awareness about the nature and extent of underage drinking in the various communities. Supervision of young people also may help end underage drinking. Providing opportunities for young people to contribute to their community may also lead to less underage drinking.

Community organizations in Georgia and throughout the United States are encouraged to adopt one or all of these strategies to create communities with less underage drinking. Some best practices to accomplish these goals include: limiting the sale of alcohol to certain hours in the day, creating special party patrols to monitor teen parties in the community and publicizing the efforts to curb underage drinking.

In the state of Georgia, a blood alcohol level of .02 is a violation of the law for anyone under 21. If charged, a teen could face fines, loss of a license and a criminal record. Anyone accused of underage drinking should seek experienced legal counsel to handle their case.

Source:, “Community How to Guide,” accessed on October 5, 2015

FindLaw Network